Free Chimney Safety Inspections
Is your chimney safe? Because it looks okay on the outside is
no guarantee that it is safe on the inside.
Chimney Jack offers free chimney safety inspections within the
basic Denver metro area. We charge $50.00 for an inspection outside
of our area and we charge $250.00 a video inspection.
Most of our safety inspections are basic visual inspections. We
can also offer more detailed video inspections of chimney flues
if that is needed. An inspection is done to determine if there
are any obvious safety issues, building code violations or structural
problems with a chimney.
Here are the most common things that we take a look at when inspecting
a fireplace and chimney:
25. Is there any evidence of animals or birds
living in the chimney?
1. Is the chimney being used currently?
2. Is there evidence that it’s been used and draws
3. Are there smoke stains above the fireplace opening?
4. Are there loose or missing bricks or mortar in the firebox?
5. Is there a heave creosote build-up in the firebox and
6. Is the creosote easily cleaned out or has it turned to
tar or glaze?
7. Is there a damper to close the flue?
8. Does it the damper work properly and shut completely?
9. Are there combustibles that are too close to the fireplace
10. Is there an adequate hearth and other protection?
11. Are there proper clearances between the stove, stove
pipes and the
walls and ceiling?
12. What is the condition of the flue?
13. Is there a flue lining?
14. Are there cracks or poor mortar joints within the flue?
15. Are terracotta clay tiles cracked, damaged or missing?
16. What does the brickwork look like?
17. Are there loose bricks or mortar?
18. Is the mortar deteriorated?
19. Are there any stains or discoloring on the outside of the chimney?
20. Is there stained or ruined plaster around the chimney in the house?
21. What does the flashing look like?
22. Is there any evidence of water leaking into the house?
23. Is the chimney at least 3’ tall and 2’ higher than any structure
within 10 feet?
24. Is the chimney crown cracked or deteriorated?
26. Is there a proper chimney cap?
27. Is there anything else that just doesn’t look right?
Is your chimney safe – or not? Find